Thinking of becoming a Trainer?
The simple fact is that it’s fun and professionally & personally very rewarding. Not only do you benefit as the Trainer but your whole practice benefits from a regular injection of enthusiasm and new ideas that GP Specialist Trainees bring.
So if you're thinking about becoming a Trainer then contact Arif, Kate or Bryony for an informal Practice visit
Once you have this TPD report, you can then submit your initial application to be an intending trainer. This is done via a web app. Please contact the GP Approvals team at who will send you the information regarding the web app.
THE PGCME IS NO LONGER A MANDATORY REQUIREMENT!
Next steps following acceptance of your application:
You will now need to complete the following mandatory requirements:
- HEE e-learning module on Clinical Supervision
- HEE Clinical Supervisors course – a half day course for all clinical supervisors
These provide a basic understanding of being a clinical supervisor
- White Rose Educational Theory course – a 1 day course for those not undertaking the PGCME
This provides a higher level of understanding of being an educator
- Intending trainer course (3 days) covering:
- Workplace based assessments (WPBA)
- Clinical and Educational Supervision
- Trainees in difficulty
- Trainers’ workshops – minimum 6 hours attendance
Formal Trainer interview
Have a look at the Yorkshire Deanery's website
Also new funding is available to help intending Trainers with equipment or room adaptation / structural changes to facilitate Training accreditation.
ABC of teaching and learning - an excellent BMJ series
Work Based Place Assessment - a useful website exploring work based place assessment
The Practice Library - suggested contents
RCGP guidelines on recording consultations
Consent form for recording consultations
An example of a GP Trainee timetable
An example of a GP Trainee induction programme
Why proposed trainee timetables fail to satisfy the Deanery
Questions often used by the Deanery at potential Trainer interviews
Contact us - Matt, Arif or Roger are keen to support potential Trainers, so why not have an informal chat to find out more?
The Yorkshire Deanery - Have a look at the Yorkshire Deanery website which has details of the dates of the seminars, detailed explanations of the pathway to becoming a Trainer and many useful downloads.
Mentorship for intending Trainers
Mentorship now is taken on (funded) by a GP Trainer local to your Practice.
There are 5 sessions
1. (Feb) COTs & feedback skills _- Intending Trainers to bring videos downloaded to their laptops of them performing a COT assessment with a GPST N.B. the video should not exceed 30 mins
2. (Feb) CBDs & RCA Intending Trainers to bring videos downloaded to their laptops of them performing a CBD or a RCA assessment with a GPST N.B. the video should not exceed 30 mins
3. (Aug) E-portfolio review, learning logs, PDPs, GPSTs with problems, Educational Supervision, ARCP - Intending Trainers to read the e-portfolio section of the Pennine website and the Educational Supervision and ARCP webpages.
4. (Aug) Time tables, Induction, Practice as a learning organisation and interview preparation - read the Pennine downloads above before this session and bring your proposed timetable and induction
5. (Aug) Contracts & organisation, maternity leave, sick leave (A Practice Manager's perspective) - don't forget to bring your Practice Manager
6. (April & Oct) Review of Training once first trainee in post & ESRs
Current intending Trainers